"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year

It's here. A brand new year, and I'm both daunted and excited. Last year was an especially good one, although I have to admit I cheat a little when I say that. You see, I count December 2010 as part of last year. I guess because I didn't seriously start thinking about a career as a writer until the beginning of that December, when I met Alice (my Wizard of Oz) for the first time. I'm proud to say that the twelve months that followed were incredibly productive. I wrote two novels (mere manuscripts, but still), got employment as a local food writer, graduated up to writing for HerStory Calendar - for which I contribute only a small part but it's published nationally, as well as taking four writing classes to help improve my technique. That's a pretty good year, and that's also why I include the previous December. So I've decided to call 2011 my thirteen month year.
Anyway, with such a good year under my belt I'm a little daunted about starting a new one. Mostly, because I'd like to do even better in 2012 than I did last year. And that means setting some pretty ambitious writing goals, which I will now share both for your amusement and because I'm hoping that announcing them publicly will shame me into keeping them longer than two weeks. Here goes.
1. Write a personal essay once a week
2. Pitch/Submit something once a week
3. Write every day, at least 1500 words
4. Write a new novel
5. Take more writing classes, if possible attend a conference or workshop
6. Edit old works aggressively for re-submission
8. Enjoy every minute of it.
What do you think friends? Can I do it? Only time will tell... (by the way, was that 1500 words? Doubtful. Very doubtful...)

1 comment:

  1. Ambitious but realistic!! I think you can do it!!!!
    Good luck and keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete