"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, August 6, 2010

The Death of Patience

I realized today as an angry motorist gave me the finger for being stopped at a red light (?), that the era of the kind and polite Canadian is at an end. Patience is dead. You see it every day on the road, in the stores and frankly, anywhere there happens to be a line. What happened to waiting for one's turn? Why is it so important to be first all the time? Where did this self entitlement come from? When did everyone decide that they deserved to be first and everyone else be damned?
I tried to be angry at the man in the truck, but I was too amused at his idiocy. Where did he need to be in such a hurry? Nowhere. He just couldn't stand the thought of waiting. Why is waiting so repulsive? It was a beautiful day, I felt sorry for him that he couldn't enjoy it. Not to mention, one day he's going to flip off the wrong person and they will joyfully beat his head in with baseball bats. I mourn the loss of our national pride, we no longer have an identity to cling to. I cringe at the thought of all these horrible people being our ambassadors to the world when they travel. What happened to taking pride in being polite and mindful of one's neighbours? I weep for the future.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed!!! It's not just patience what kills me is how quick people are to be grumpy, irritated or pissed off. Why can't we just shrug it off or laugh it off and Keep that smile we started the day with or for god sakes at least try to get a smile going. I know its hard to be awake but REALLY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was probably me, I sometimes get a little too trigger-happy with my middle finger.

    ReplyDelete