"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Breaking Point

We've officially found that point in winter where all hope seems lost and the idea of getting out of bed every morning seems insane. We're a little over halfway through February, and if you live in the Canadian prairies that means we have two more months of winter. Yes, that's right. Two more months.

So, is it any surprise that people (myself included) are testy, impatient and just plain sad? I'm like a walking Eeyore cartoon. I could stand in for Charlie Brown. And I'm self medicating with so much chocolate I'm going to end up with diabetes.

The only solutions I can see are travel (which I can't afford) and time travel (which hasn't been invented yet). Therefore, I'm stuck with the consolation prize: distraction. You'd think I'd be crazy productive right now, but it's amazing how much of a bite depression takes out of your work ethic. With all the effort it takes to push myself out of bed each morning and trudge through another work day, the thought of going home to write is hilarious. All I want to do is collapse on the couch, eat something bad for me and watch Downton Abbey until it's time to go to sleep.

But, I don't have time for that. There are only two months left in my mentorship and I want to make the most of them. Plus, this problem is temporary. Sooner or later, spring will come and I'll start to feel better. In the meantime, it's just going to have to be force of will pushing me to the computer every day and out of bed each morning.

How do you beat the winter blues? Do you throw yourself into your work? Hibernate? Share in the comments.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely hibernate!! I'm all about snuggly blankets & hot drinks!!

    ReplyDelete