"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, May 25, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Silence

Welcome to yet another beautiful Friday. I'm especially happy today, because I've been nominated for a Versatile Blogger Award by Muddy Kinzer over at Muddying the Waters for my Five Sentence Fiction Fridays. (Wow, that's a long sentence!) I'm very flattered, and you'll be hearing more about it and what it means tomorrow. Today is reserved for Five Sentence Fiction, and today's prompt is silence. If you'd like to participate, or just learn more about it, visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Enjoy!

Tranquil is the night.. I've always found that the night is really only as tranquil as the person walking in it. Tonight, the darkness presses in around me; thick, heavy and smothering. The hairs on the back of my neck stand on end, the ever present feeling that I'm not alone. It takes me a moment to put my finger on the cause of my discomfort,but there it is: it's entirely too quiet out here.
Despite my foreboding, I don't see it coming, and the only break in the silence of the dark night air is my gasp of surprise; a short burst of sound that ends as quickly as it began.

There you have it! As always, I greatly welcome all of your thoughts and comments in the comments section below. (Not only do I welcome them, I cherish them!) Please feel free to follow this blog via email (on the right side of the page) and don't forget to follow me on twitter @MelanieKCole! If you're still hungry for more Five Sentence Fiction, check out the links below and read my attempts from previous weeks. Have a great weekend everyone!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Foggy
Five Sentence Ficiton Friday - Sombrero
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Candy
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Explosive
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Wicked
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Armor
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Tears

10 comments:

  1. I love this! I so want to know what happened... I love the foreboding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a terrific first line Melanie, and a great piece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, this was edgy... sent a little tingle up the spine...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it!!!!! I hope you turn this one into a longer story or book!! It's so thrilling!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Entirely too quiet - that is never a good sign, is it? Wonderful sense of foreboding!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, this one calls for "more!" But as is, it represents very effective flash fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much! Have I told you lately how much I love all your comments? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eerie feelings now...definitely want to know what happened. Well don!

    ReplyDelete
  9. alighted the senses with anticipation

    ReplyDelete