"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, August 3, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Victory

Welcome to Friday and another episode of Five Sentence Fiction! Are you feeling as victorious as I am? I feel like this week was longer than most. As you've probably already guessed, this week's prompt is Victory. If you'd like to find out more about Five Sentence Fiction, or give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Enjoy!

I enjoy watching him sweat, his skin glistening as his eyes dart back and forth, his tongue sliding repeatedly over his chapped lips.
He makes his move with a trembling hand and I smile, reaching out to capture his queen the moment he releases it.
"Checkmate."
He walks away slowly, his envelope of cash resting in my pocket. Victory is mine.

There we have it! I hope you all enjoy your weekend, and if you're still in the mood for more Five Sentence Fiction, just follow the links below. Don't forget to follow this blog and find me on twitter @MelanieKCole.

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Perseverance
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Scarlet
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Composure
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Pirates

7 comments:

  1. Marvelous distillation of action and character in barely seven lines! Loved this! ~ j

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great piece of writing in just five sentences.
    Sounds like an intense game of chess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, intensity is the word, and you've packed so much of it in such a short piece! Enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool - I especially like your description of the other player feeling the pressure. Nothing wrong with a friendly bet, right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all so much!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your lovely comments. You make my day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wickedly good! I could see her victory grin, rightfully smug :)

    ReplyDelete