"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Just a Dream

Well, it's Wednesday. That means the week is just about half over. At least it will be by the end of the day. I suppose it depends on what time you're reading this. Either way, Wednesday is kind of a transitory day, the gateway between the beginning of the week and the end. The weekend always feels so much closer on Wednesday evenings than it does on Wednesday mornings, wouldn't you agree? And to help ease you through this transition, I've written a little piece of flash fiction for your enjoyment. It's my way of making the time flow just a little faster. Enjoy!

Just a Dream

The phone rings in the middle of the night,  a loud, jarring sound. I sit up in bed, heart aching with the pain of waking so quickly from such a deep sleep. I fight my way through tangled sheets to the edge of the bed, desperate to quiet the awful sound.
 "Hello?" My voice is groggy, even though my heart is racing. Something awful must have happened for a call to come so late.
There's a pause, and the muffled sound of breathing before the line goes dead. I'm left with the phone in my hand, my mind still sandy with sleep. 
"It's probably just a wrong number."
I say the words aloud, although there's no one there to hear them. It's just me, and it has been for several years now. 
An hour goes by and my eyes are once again heavy with sleep before the phone rings again. It's less jarring this time; perhaps I've been expecting it. I find the phone easier, it's closer. I only have to reach out and grab it. 
The line is silent. A moment of hesitation before the audible click and the call is over.
I lie back and rest my head against the pillow. Sleep is already tugging at my eyes, fighting with the questions these phone calls are inspiring.
It rings a third time. Impatient. Insisting. I pick it up, cradling it against my face in the dark.
"Hello?"
I listen to the words, eyes closed. The familiarity of the voice as pronounced as the corners of my bed, despite the impossibility.
I nod along, so tired I can barely stand it. I listen to the voice on the line, try to memorize the words, the directions. 
In the morning, I'll believe this was all a dream.

I hope you've enjoyed this latest venture into flash fiction. I did! As always, I welcome your comments below in the comments section. Please feel free to follow this blog and share it with friends. Don't forget to find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. Have a great Wednesday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! So many questions!!!! I loved it!!! I felt like I was there!! But now I desperately want to know what was said! Why was the phone ringing? Why were they alone? Who was on the line???? PLEASE CONTINUE THIS STORY!!!!!! I NEED TO KNOW!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! Thank you! I don't know if I'll continue this one or not, but if I do, I promise to post it.

    ReplyDelete