"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, October 7, 2013

Monday Book Review - Christine

Welcome to Monday and this week's book recommendation!

CHRISTINE by Stephen King
 

It wouldn't be Halloween without at least one novel by Stephen King. In my opinion, CHRISTINE is the perfect illustration of just how talented Stephen King really is. (Not that any of you needed convincing, I'm sure). But here is the story of an evil car, a murderously evil car, and ... it's riveting! This was the first Stephen King I've ever read (aside from his memoir, ON WRITING). I'd always wanted to read his work, but I wasn't sure where to start. A girlfriend suggested I start with this one and she was right. I'm hooked!

I'm pretty sure King could make anything terrifying. It's the writing. He so perfectly sets the scene, builds the tension and then takes it places you never would have dreamed of. And his characters are so well drawn that everything feels intensely real. An evil car becomes entirely possible.

If you've never read King before (or if you have but avoided this one because you found the idea of an evil car too ridiculous), give it a try. It's the perfect example of fantastic writing taking a very odd idea and making it not only believable, but so real you'll never look at a car the same way again. 

As a side note, I'm sure all of you have heard about Stephen King's latest novel, DOCTOR SLEEP, which is a sequel to THE SHINING. I've never read THE SHINING, so that's next up on my list of King's works. I can't wait to read both of them. What about you? What's your favourite book by Stephen King?

4 comments:

  1. Hopefully you get a chance to read the shining and its sequel!!! So creepy!

    In the same way, you should watch Psycho and Birds. Still creepy to this day! I just watched Hitchcock and the movie explains so much about the making of Psycho and what Alfred Hitchcock was like. spooky and awesome!
    www.amysbooketlist.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny! I just watched Hitchcock too. Loved it! Yes, I watched Birds and Psycho for the first time a few years ago. You're right, they're still creepy!

      Delete
  2. Melanie, I'm so glad to find someone who loves Halloween and books as much as I do! I love your idea of reading scary books in October, and it doesn't get any scarier than Stephen King! "The Shining" is a great Halloween book and "It" is so scary I have been unable to deal with clowns and spiders since. "Pet Sematary" was so scary I couldn't even finish it. I had to put it away forever so I could sleep at night.

    I've been in a Shirley Jackson kick, and "The Haunting of Hill House" and "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" are all about haunted houses and ghosts. Right now I'm reading "The Turn of the Screw" by Henry James, another haunted house/ghost story, but after that, I'm not sure what to read next. I'll be following you to see what your next book pick is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have "We Have Always Lived in the Castle" and "The Turn of the Screw" sitting on my pile of books! I can't wait to check out the rest of Stephen King's work and be thoroughly terrified as well. Thanks for the warning about Pet Sematary, I'll be sure to read it during daylight only. And don't worry, I still have lots of great haunted books to recommend this month! ;)

      Delete