"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

The Mentorship Program

I don't know if you remember me mentioning this or not, but in September I had applied to take part in a mentorship program put on by the Saskatchewan Writers Guild. In this program, four apprentices are paired with established writers who work one on one with them on a body of work for a period of four months. The goal is to sharpen your craft while getting individual attention and editorial advice on your writing. It's a great opportunity, so I mailed in my application and crossed my fingers, hoping that I'd be one of the lucky four.

A week ago today I got the call. I'm in! That's right, I'm one of those lucky four.

Now, I'm writing this here for several reasons. First of all, I'm still so excited I can hardly stand it. The writing life comes with so much rejection, when you get a win you just have to celebrate it. Secondly, I want to remind you (and myself) of the importance of putting yourself out there. As I said, there's so much rejection that comes with writing, it can be hard not to withdraw completely. But there's also a lot of opportunity out there if you look for it. You won't get everything (God knows I haven't) but you'll get a lot more than not putting yourself out there at all.

And now I turn the floor over to you. What new directions have you been taking in your writing? Have you been putting you and your work out there?

2 comments: