"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Saturday, February 18, 2012

Feeling Maternal, Or Should I Say Bunny-ternal

You hear a lot about women and their biological clock. How many times have you heard someone make the remark that their biological clock is ticking? When I include TV, movies and friends, the number is pretty high. And even if you don't consider the biological clock, there are women who are just meant to be mothers. Women who hear a baby cry and start lactating (perhaps not literally, but close). Whereas there's me. When I hear a baby cry, there's just a cloud of dust following behind as I run frantically in the other direction.

Some women can't wait to have children. They count down the days until they can start popping out babies and raising a family. And God forbid the two of us cross paths. These women also seem hell bent on convincing those of that aren't maternally inclined to forgo our instincts and procreate. But I'm just not that kind of girl. I don't want kids. Never have. But recently I have been feeling a certain kind of maternal longing. No, not for children. For bunnies.

As some of you may recall, my rabbit of nearly five years, George, passed away on Christmas Day. And since she's (yes, she was a girl) been gone, there's been a hole I just can't fill. I miss my fuzzy little angel. Recently I joined pinterest and have been pinning up a storm. A lot of it is beautiful home decor, exotic and beautiful locations and of course, pictures that inspire me creatively. But there is another board that I've started. I've called it my adorable animal picture board, and although it includes all species of animal cuteness (except babies, they do nothing for my cute-o-meter), I can't help but pin every available cute rabbit picture I can find. I can't get enough of them. And every time I look at them, I feel a pull inside that hasn't gone away. Even before George passed away, I'd been thinking about getting another rabbit to keep her company and also because I wanted another one. I miss having a bunny around, and I think soon I might have to give in and get another one.

I won't be able to get another one right now, my husband is still opposed to the idea (a minor obstacle, but still) and I want to wait a little longer out of respect to my dear, departed George. I don't want a new rabbit companion to be her replacement. I was thinking I might wait until after Easter. A lot of people buy their kids rabbits as an Easter present and then realize that they take way more care than a child is capable of (not to mention the stupid kids get bored with them) and they drop them off at the SPCA. This is unpardonable in my eyes. Not only is it incredibly irresponsible, but it's heartless. So, I might take it upon myself to rescue some rabbits this spring. Just as soon as I can convince my husband.

Still need convincing of the cuteness of bunnies? Check these pictures out. (Warning: if your heart doesn't melt, you just might be a robot)


2 comments:

  1. My favorite is the coffee cup bunnies! I love their long ears!! So cute and floppy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My heart definitely melted... I'm a pet-o-holic. I love my little animals and my mum is sorely opposed to my having pets of any kind. I did however manage to convince her to let me adopt my two fat rats, who I lovingly named Mr. Darcy and Mr. Bingley. Now, if I can convince my mother to let me get pets, I'm quite convinced that you can convince dear hubby to let you get another rabbit :)

    ReplyDelete