"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Be Inspired Blog Hop

I've been tagged by Ruth Long of Bullish Ink in the Vicki Orians Be Inspired Blog Hop! Basically, it's all about writers talking about what inspires them and divulging a few tasty details about their works in progress.

The rules are as follows: 1) Answer the following ten questions about your work in progress and 2) Tag 5 other writers and link to their blogs so that we can all read their answers as well. Sounds simple enough, yes? Let's begin!

1) What is the title of your book? PROMISES TO KEEP

2) Where did the idea for the book come from? It actually came from a Your Story prompt in Writers Digest. The prompt was to write a 750 word story where you visit your childhood home and find that it's been condemned. I don't know why, but that small prompt triggered this story in a big way. It was like a lightning bolt. I wrote the 750 word story and submitted it, but I always knew there was so much more to tell. It didn't win, but continued to percolate under the surface for several months until I saw the link for Camp NaNoWriMo. I'd done it in November and loved it, what a perfect excuse to tell that story!

3) What genre would your book fall under? It's hard to label it at this point, but I'm going to say mainstream fiction.

4) Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition? This is a really hard question because I don't really think about those things and I'm terrible with movie star names! I think I'd want to go with slightly more undiscovered people. I find the big names often take away from the story. You end up looking at the actor instead of the character they're playing. I know, I know, weak answer - but what can I say? You stumped me!

5) What is the one sentence synopsis of your book? A teenage girl is brought back from the afterlife to deal with a promise she made before her death.

6) Is your book published or represented? No.

7) How long did it take you to write? Don't know, still writing it! I decided to give it a go for the June Camp NaNoWriMo. I'm hoping to finish the rough (ROUGH) draft by the end of 'Camp' and then the editing begins!

8) What other books within your genre would you compare it to? That's a tough one! It's not as funny as TWENTIES GIRL by Sophie Kinsella, but the subject matter is similar.

9) Which authors inspired you to write this book? Just one. Alice Kuipers. As always I name my Wizard of Oz when it comes to my inspiration. She was the first person in the writing world to take me seriously, and she's always held me to a high standard. She's made me hold myself to a higher standard and I'll always appreciate that.

10) Tell us anything else that might pique our interest in your book. It's the story of a family that has lost their way and the eternal hope that they can bring it around again. The truth is there, sometimes it's just hidden in a clever place.

Now for the final piece of the puzzle. Here are my five tags:

1) Lindsey Fairleigh
2) Claudine Jaboro
3) Veronica Roth
4) Sopphey Vance
5) Rose Woods

No comments:

Post a Comment