"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Saturday, June 9, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo - Week One

As you probably know, I signed up for June's Camp NaNoWriMo. So far, it's been going really well. I've managed to hit my targets every day and I'm really impressed with how my story is progressing. As it turns out, going in with a story line already in mind is a lot more effective than winging it.

I think what I like best about NaNoWriMo is the motivation that being part of an online community gives you. Without that little word counter showing my progress for all the world to see, I'd have no reason to finish. I'd probably peter out after the first couple of weeks, if I made it there at all. But here I am, 15,000 words in after just nine short days. And it feels pretty good! I'm also a big fan of the weekly pep talk emails and message boards. I have yet to attend an actual, physical function, but I like the sense of community.

What are your writing goals for June? The summer can be the perfect time for catching up on your writing. The world is bursting with colour and inspiration, not to mention the enjoyment of basking in the outdoors with a notebook and pen. That's what this weekend is all about for me, the writing. I'm working hard on my novel for NaNoWriMo as well as a few other projects in between. The only thing getting neglected this weekend is my yard, but luckily the rain's taken care of that problem.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!!! That sounds amazing!!! Good job!!! I haven't gotten any writing done but I hope to soon!!!

    ReplyDelete