"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, November 23, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Feast

Welcome to the end of one hellish week. I've been sick since last Friday, so you better believe I'm happy the week is over. I'm finally feeling like I'm on the mend, so I genuinely have cause to celebrate. And what better way to do that then with Five Sentence Fiction? This week's prompt is feast. If you'd like to learn more, or give it a try yourself, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. Enjoy!

She could hear the humming calling her to the kitchen, the same tune her mom used to hum when she was cooking.
The table was laden with food, the aroma pulling her closer, making her mouth water. She reached out with trembling fingers, desperate for a taste, looking up just in time to see it. 
There, just beyond the table, standing in front of the stove, something was cooking and humming merrily. And it was definitely not her mother.

Voila! I hope you've enjoyed this little piece of fiction. If you did, and you'd like to read more, just check out the links below for previous editions. If you really enjoyed it, I hope you'll share it with friends. And if you'd like to make my day (and my weekend), I hope you'll follow this blog and come find me on twitter @MelanieKCole. Your comments are welcome (and much appreciated!) below in the comments section.

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Business
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Character
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Candidate
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Potions

9 comments:

  1. What a thoroughly disturbing little tale. I LIKE it. Nicely done, indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm keft me wondering. nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now she just needs someone else to show up and do the dishes.

    Nice story - didn't see that ending coming!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Intense! A startling ending that left me wondering exactly who or what it was she saw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Creepy! Your little tales are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spooky and grotesque. Good job.

    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  7. Had you not described it as "it," I might have thought it was her father. Finally getting up off the couch and making dinner while mom was out at a PTA meeting or something. ;) jk. Very spooky. Second thought, I still think it's her father. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments! And Kris... thanks? I think... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh... just as I was beginning to think, 'another happy family kitchen scene', then 'erk! - What is 'IT'? Love the twist that leaves you dangling. Totally unexpected, well done.

    ReplyDelete