"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Friday, November 30, 2012

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Joy

Welcome one and all to Friday and this week's edition of Five Sentence Fiction. If you'd like to find out what it's all about, just visit Lillie McFerrin Writes. This week's prompt was joy, and I'll be honest, it was a tough one for me. I looked at the word and my mind went completely blank. So I hope you enjoy it, and if it sucks, you know why.

Joy? She couldn't summon a time in recent memory when she'd felt anything akin to joy, and listening to her friend only made her feel empty. Why were things going so wonderfully for her when all she felt was misery?
Her friend looked at her, waiting for a response. She forced a smile on her face, pretending to feel a happiness she couldn't remember.

There you have it. Like I said, this prompt was a really hard one for me, so I hope you enjoyed it. If you'd like to read past week's editions, just follow the links below. Your comments are always welcome in the comments section below. Have a great weekend!

Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Feast
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Business
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Character
Five Sentence Fiction Friday - Candidate

6 comments:

  1. Poignant Melanie, there'll be many who can relate to this. Really well put!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does not suck. It's real and powerful.

    Cheers -- I mean Joy!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  3. This pulls me in, Melanie, and makes me want to know more about the character.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is very good - many people can relate to this to some degree. It can be difficult to feel someone else's joy when you have problems of your own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we've all experienced times in our lives where there wasn't much joy, and that made it painful to see others happy, but I've found that if I can truly be glad for their good fortune, I soon find ways to be more at peace with my own lot as well. Joy cycles just as life does, if it goes missing from time to time, it is sure to return!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments! I like that there was such a personal connection to the story for some of you. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete