"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Learning French

Have you ever met someone who likes to make completely unrealistic goals and really believes they'll attain them? Well, now you have. Yes, it's me. Your good friend, the optimistic. My latest pronouncement to the world? I'm going to try and learn French!

I should probably back up a little. For the past year and an half (actually, probably closer to two years), my husband and I have been planning a trip to Paris for our fifth wedding anniversary, which is this July. And as with most things, I let my procrastination get the better of me. I've left it until now to try and learn some French, with just four months to go. Yes, I realize I have absolutely no chance of being fluent or even remotely fluent by then, but dammit! I'm going to try. I know I won't be able to converse, but I'd like to maybe be able to read a menu, or possibly ask where the bathroom is.

So now I have half a dozen language apps on my phone, as I attempt to fit tiny French lessons into my very busy life. Oh yes, I'm going self taught. No time for real, classroom lessons for this girl. I'm going to wing it! (Are you nauseated by the unrealistic expectations yet? Don't worry, you will be soon.) Of course, I should also note that I'm terrible at this sort of thing. I took six years of German in my youth and all I have are an assortment of phrases. But I'm still going to try.

I guess I'm just that kind of girl.

While I'm on the subject of learning French, I really must insist that you read the personal essay, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" by David Sedaris. So hilarious. In fact, do it right now. You'll thank me for brightening your day. As for me, it's back to my French lessons, so I too can "talk pretty one day". Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful way to celebrate your anniversary! I am also a bit jealous. I went to Paris as a young girl and I have always wanted to go back - spend a year there. I would like to speak French again. I commend you for being so optimistic.

    The key to learning a foreign language (as yo probably know) is practing basic phrases and practing that vocabulary: la porte - door, le fenetre - window (I think that's the spelling!), le nom - name, les yeux - eyes, la femme - girl, garcon - boy, ")u est la toilete?" - Where is the bathroom? etc.

    Keep listening to the pronunciation, but don't be afraid to speak even though you may not pronounce the words perfectly! :-) Just practice - just like writing! I want to speak French again; but right now I have other big things on my plate. Let us know how your practice is going. Maybe if you're accountable to us, it will help!

    Bon Soir! (Good evening)
    Monique

    p.s.Sorry for any French spelling errors. It's been a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! Don't worry, I wouldn't know the difference! Thanks for the great advice!

      Delete