"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Why Don't You Smell Like Bananas?

The other day I was driving with my sister to meet a friend for coffee and she was telling me how her husband was finally letting her keep bananas in the house. That might sound kind of odd, but her husband experienced some pretty awful food poisoning from a banana when he was younger and ever since hasn't been able to handle the smell of them. Which got me to thinking, why do I never see any banana scented products anywhere?

Think about it. Have you ever seen a banana flavoured shower gel or body spray? What about a room spray or candle? I'm pretty sure I had a strawberry banana lip smackers when I was young, but they never smelled like bananas, only strawberries.

So, what's the deal? I've seen some pretty weird flavours for scented candles, so you can't tell me that the scent of banana would be too far out there. And bananas have a very pleasant smell, maybe not to my brother in law, but to a lot of people. Is it just too hard to manufacture? Is no one working on this? They've never let inaccuracy stop them before. I've never found that any ocean scented product actually smelled like the ocean. Instead they just smelled like perfume, or what I always imagined the color blue would smell like. Where are the banana scented products? Why does no one smell like bananas?

I'm not sure where I'm going with this. It's possible I've just uncovered a giant banana flavoured conspiracy or it could be that I'm just bored. But now that you know the truth, can you really tell me you won't be thinking about this? That at some point today or tomorrow you won't stop and think: "why are there no banana scented products?" The truth is out there, people. The truth is out there.

2 comments:

  1. Because the horrible memory of banana flavored medicine in childhood has ingrained in us to hate the banana smell and associate it with grossness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I always like the banana flavoured medicine. So much better than the other kinds

      Delete