"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Prison

I know in some parts of the world, indeed even in this very country, spring is just around the corner. Not here. We have at least three full months left, and if I'm going to be totally honest, probably more. You really can't count on spring until May when you live in Saskatchewan. And as we move further into winter and its cold embrace, I'm feeling the need to hibernate more and more. No amount of sleep seems to be good enough. No matter what time I go to bed, I'm always wishing for a couple more hours when I get up. And afternoon naps are becoming a necessity.

Not only am I incessantly tired, but I can't seem to get warm enough either. Every day at work, there comes a point where my boss will suddenly announce that it's far too hot in our office and proceeds to turn the heat way down. I personally think she's crazy and would prefer that she turn the heat way up, but I'm alone in that regard. Everyone seems comfortable and warm, and I sit at my desk, bundled in my many layers and shiver. I've even started bringing a blanket with me to wrap up in, but it just makes me want to nap even more. It's a vicious cycle.

It doesn't help that the cold has prevented regular walks for our dog, who is prone to cabin fever. Leaving the house is a lengthy operation when you're living with a destructive Great Dane. Believe me when I say no where is high enough.

What is my point in all this? Well, there isn't one. It is just a cathartic rant to help keep the winter madness at bay. At least the continual presence of winter keeps me locked up and wrapped in blankets where I can write. I've been making good use of the time, too. I've been visiting the Writer in Residence, and with the Christmas rush behind me I'm back to editing my book, which feels pretty good. So, I guess there's a positive side to winter. I'm going to have to keep reminding myself of that if I'm going to make it through the next three months. And those of you out there already experiencing the first harbingers of Spring? Just keep it to yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I am having the same problem here in New Hampshire so I enjoyed your venting. I have an elderly cocker spaniel who is finding the ice this winter a real challenge. Once I make myself go out and walk I feel better. I work from home so I can keep the heat as high as I want but that blanket is a great idea...either that or feet pajamas. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the footsie pajama idea. Although that might not go over well at work... Make sure you and your sweet cocker spaniel are staying warm and safe as well! Spring has to come eventually. :)

      Delete