"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Saturday, April 14, 2012

Unplugged

Today was a good day. I spent almost the entirety of the day unplugged from TV and the internet, and I have to say, it was nice. The only reason I'm on now is to write this blog post. It's amazing what you can get done when you take a step away from technology.

Since the start of the month I've been participating in a platform building challenge, and it's been great. But I've also been incessantly plugged into social media sites and it's amazing how quickly it can become redundant. For instance, today's challenge was to start a Google+ account. I wasn't pleased about this one, I'm not a big fan of Google, and I'm starting to feel as though I'm spreading myself too thin. Would it not be better to concentrate on making a big impact on small number of social media outlets, than a small one on a great number of them? Despite my personal feelings, I'm trying to keep an open mind. I'll decide which I'll keep and which I'll get rid of at the end. But it was frustrating enough to get me to put my computer away for the afternoon.

And when I did, I discovered something amazing. I could get a lot done in a day. I ran errands, did yard work, visited my sister, went to the farmers market, cleaned my house and walked the dog. And I feel great! I'm not suggesting that I've given up on social media, I enjoy it and I think it has a lot to offer. But it's nice to take a break from it once in a while. I think I'll remain unplugged for the rest of the weekend. I can't wait to see what else I can accomplish!

1 comment:

  1. Being unplugged can be so lovely! Sometimes I feel like that's all I'm doing! Going from site to site making sure everything is current! It's nice to get out there and enjoy some sunshine!!

    ReplyDelete