"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Gearing Up for Fall

There's something about fall that always makes me think of new beginnings. Yes, I really should be thinking the opposite. After all, the natural world is dying, going into hibernation. It's the end of a cycle, not the beginning of one. But I've been conditioned by years of school that fall is a time for starting new academic challenges, for buying new clothes, for new pencils, notebooks and erasers and of course, for new possibilities. Which is why I've been thinking a lot about the new challenges and goals I'm setting for myself as a writer.

First of all, I've made an appointment with the new Writer in Residence. I miss last year's like crazy and I'm a little nervous about meeting with the new one, as it seems impossible for anyone to fill his shoes. But I felt that way about the Writer in Residence before him, so I guess that's natural. And I think it would be incredibly foolish to turn down the opportunity to learn from anyone as experienced and capable as the talented writers the program has come up with so far. Each new writer has something unique to teach, and I'm anxious to learn.

Secondly, I'm sending in an application for the Saskatchewan Writer's Guild Mentorship Program. In this program you work one on one with an experienced author, on issues and concerns that are personal to you. It's a tremendous opportunity and even though I have no guarantee of being accepted, I knew I had to apply. As I said before, the chance to learn from other writers, especially such talented ones, is a rare gift and not one I'm willing to turn away from.

Lastly, I'm thinking about joining a critique group. I'm not sure how to even begin going about finding an appropriate one, but I love the idea of getting together with other writers, offering and receiving constructive criticism, as well as supporting one another. It sounds like a valuable experience, especially if you find the right group. (Sometimes it's difficult to find one with members that give constructive criticism. Either they give weak feedback, or none at all. Which isn't particularly helpful.)

So, there you have it. How are you gearing up for fall? Have you set goals as well? Let me know in the comments section! (As well as if you have advice for finding a critique group.)


2 comments:

  1. Hi Melanie,

    Followed your blog by GFC (Vivi).

    http://opinionatedperson.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Can't wait to check out your blog as well!

      Delete