"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

A Barrage of Updates

I will admit that I'm phoning it in a bit this morning. Last night, my sister and I were at my mother's house making perogies. We made A LOT of perogies, had a lot of laughs and now my freezer is full and I'm exhausted. It's all worth it though. If you've never enjoyed the difference of real perogies versus those awful store bought ones, you really should. It's ridiculous.

I've actually been pretty busy on the home front these days. Aside from epic perogy making, I've been doing a lot of editing on the manuscript, trying to whip into reasonable shape before the current Writer in Residence, David A. Poulsen, finishes his residency. There's nothing like a deadline hanging over your head to get you to work hard. Although, honestly, I think a bigger reason for my current work ethic is turning off the TV. No, I haven't done the official turn off for the summer (I feel like there should be some kind of ribbon cutting ceremony or something), but I have been cutting way back, getting myself used to the abundance of free time it provides. I think the official turn off will come in May when the snow will finally be gone (I'm hoping!) and it's not so depressing to look out my window.

I know some of you have been wondering if I've been keeping up with my French lessons in preparation for my upcoming trip to Paris, and the answer is: yes! I try to make sure I do at least one lesson every day (although preferably more). Could I carry on a conversation in French? Not on your life. But, when I see French signs, or see French phrases in the books I've been reading on Paris, I actually understand a lot of them, which is very exciting. I can speak a few phrases, and there's a slight possibility I might be able to manage ordering in a restaurant, so I'm pretty excited. I still have two and a half months to go, so I'm kicking it into high gear. And I have to admit, I'm loving it. I've never been very good at learning different languages (and that hasn't changed), but my progress is encouraging and I'm having a lot of fun.

Thus concludes this random post of updates. Hopefully everything is going well on your end, as we slowly (oh ever so slowly!) creep into spring. What new happenings has the change of seasons brought into your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment