"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, April 1, 2013

Monday Book Review - Horns

Welcome to Monday and this week's book recommendation. I hope you've got your reading goggles at the ready, because this one is going to knock your socks off! And no, in answer to your question, there is no such thing as reading goggles. I made them up. You're welcome.

HORNS by Joe Hill

 

After a truly horrible night Iggy can barely remember, he wakes up with more than a hangover. He has horns growing from his forehead. It seems fitting, given that the love of his life was raped and murdered a year ago that he should have a breakdown, or at least that's what he assumes is happening. But the horns are not a hallucination, and they come with very strange powers he can't explain. Powers that could be put to use...

I can't say enough good things about this book. It's like hands reached out from between the pages and grabbed me, pulling me in and refusing to let me go. It was one of those books that make you cancel plans, because the thought of having to put it down, even for an hour or two is more than you can bear. Of course it was brilliantly written, that's a given, but I'm not lying when I say it had me captive from the first paragraph. 

What was my favourite part about this book? I think the originality of the plot for one, the idea of waking up with horns on your head is just too intriguing to ignore, but more than that, it was the way the plot was structured. The flow of the story was perfect, so well paced, the flashbacks and character reveals so cleverly done. I also enjoyed the fresh take on the idea of the devil and the role he plays on each of our shoulders.

Definitely pick this one up, it's a devilishly good read. (I know. I couldn't help myself).


Don't forget to leave your own book recommendations and comments in the comments section below!

2 comments:

  1. That book sounds awesome! I can't wait to pick it up and give it a read! I just finished "The Pigeon Pie Mystery" it was really good too but took a couple of chapters to get into. Glad I stuck it out though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the recommendation! I'll add it to the list!

      Delete