"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, April 8, 2013

Monday Book Review - State of Wonder

Ugh, Mondays. I once saw a poster that read: "You don't hate Mondays. You just hate your job." Although I actually really like my job and the people I work for, it's definitely true. Given the option of going to work or staying at home to nap and do whatever I please, the decision is pretty easy. But there is one good thing about Mondays. It's time for this week's book recommendation.

STATE OF WONDER by Ann Patchett
 

To put a rather complex book quite simply, this is the story of a woman's journey into the amazon to discover the circumstances of a coworker's death for his wife. It's definitely not the kind of book I would normally read, I tend to shy away from books like these as though they actually carried the malaria they talk about. So, what made me pick up this one? That's easy. I didn't know what it was about. It was recommended, so I just picked it up and started reading. By the time I knew what it was about, it was too late. I was too intrigued to put it down.

I don't even know how to describe why it was good. It was just so... fascinating. Everything around me dulled in comparison. A large part of it was due to the main character, Marina. She was so brilliantly complex. Her reactions to her circumstances, her surroundings, made the book come alive. She was as intriguing as the amazon around her, full of secrets, hidden truths. 

This is a book that will hold your attention to the end. You'll never have trouble picking it up, but you'll always have trouble putting it down, even when its over. It sits with you, pushes its way into your thoughts even when you're trying to focus on something else. It's a brilliantly written story.

I'm glad I was pushed out of my comfort zone for this one. Definitely give it a try, and let me know what you think in the comments section. Make sure you leave your own book recommendations as well!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh sounds very intriguing!!! I'm excited to read this one!!!

    ReplyDelete