"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Beating the Heat - Old School

Lately we've had a string of gorgeous, sunny and very hot weather. And I've loved it. While a lot of people complain about the heat and retreat into the air conditioning, I relish it. We have such ridiculously long, cold winters, I love the chance to be too hot. I hold the memory dear to me throughout the winter, remembering that hot, sticky feeling, when the air waves around you like a warm bath. It's beautiful. Because I know that in just a few very short months it will be winter again.

I always shake my head when people complain about the heat, because more often than not those people have air conditioning, and they have it cranked. I'm sure they feel the same way about me in the winter, when I complain about the cold and keep the heat cranked, but such is life. I don't have air conditioning, and I wouldn't use it if I had it. I prefer to beat the heat the old fashioned way, with ice cream, electric fans and partial nudity. Yes, I find it much more fun to stand in front of a fan in my underpants eating a fudgsicle than have my house feel like the frozen foods section in the grocery store.

I realize, of course, that I'm strange. I know I'm not the norm, but I highly suggest that one day you just give it a try. See if you can appreciate the heat, store it in your bones for that icy cold day in winter when all hope seems lost. Maybe you'll find your own fun new way to beat the heat. Who doesn't remember those blissful days of childhood running screaming through the sprinklers? Do you remember how exhilarating that was? Why not try it again?

What about you? How do you beat the heat the old fashioned way?

No comments:

Post a Comment