"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Monday, July 1, 2013

Monday Book Review - Sailor Twain

Welcome to Monday! A day made less painful by a weekly book recommendation by yours truly. Enjoy!

SAILOR TWAIN by Mark Siegel

 

I bring you this week, something a little different. This is a graphic novel. And it's brilliant. It really is. It's the story of Captain Twain and his encounter with a mermaid. I promise you, you'll never find a more imaginative and spell binding story of man, the sea and all the mysteries in between. I loved it. It was beautifully told and as I said before, seemed to be made of pure imagination. So mysterious, dark and enchanting. 

What I loved most about this book is not just the fantastic story, but the way Mark Siegel chose to tell it. I'm not usually a graphic novel sort of person (although I definitely dabble), but it was just the perfect format for this story. The drawing are simple, but beautiful, and I think it's because of this format that the story really leaps to that higher level. It haunts you (but don't worry, not in a bad way), not to mention becomes completely impossible to put down. I read it in a day, unable to stop even when I really should have put it down to get my work done. 

So, pick it up. That's all I have to say. It's a lovely book, definitely one of the best stories I've read in a while. Read it yourself and then comment below and let me know your own thoughts. Don't forget, if any of my suggestions remind you of another great book you think I, or others, would enjoy, let us know! I love getting book recommendations!

1 comment: