"There's no point in spending your life in the pursuit of something that's easy." - Alice Kuipers

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Getting Back on the Ball

For some people, traveling to Europe can really screw up their internal clock. Normally, I'd say I was the same, but I will admit that my recent trip to Paris did nothing of the sort. I was entirely jet lag free the whole time and returned to my home time zone with ease. (Amazing, I know. But it's true.)

No, what has been weirdly difficult is getting back on the ball. I can't seem to get blog posts done on time (aside from today's, finally!), I haven't managed to get my manuscript off to the editor when I'm practically jumping out of my skin I'm so excited to have her look at it and getting back on track at work has been an arduous undertaking. Sure, some of that was due to the usual work of laundry and such after a vacation, and true, my water heater did crap out on me as soon as we got home and leaked all over our basement, leaving me without water and an additional large expense when I really didn't need it. But I never post late on my blog! It's a point of pride for me. And not getting my manuscript off to the editor immediately? Say it ain't so! I should be wading around my basement in rubber boots, unshowered as I reread my final draft before stuffing it in an envelope and putting it in the mail.

The only explanation I can come up with, is that I'm still in vacation mode. You know what I mean. That head space where you sleep in, take life slow and stop for a three hour coffee/lunch whenever the mood pleases you. God, I love that head space! And it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a day job. But I've got to get back to it! So, even though I can't stand to let go of my Parisian attitude, I've got to buck up and get back to work. Because what I really want, (even more than a three hour lunch) is to see my book in print. And posting this on time is my first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment